Monday 5 July 2010

Cross stitch anyone?

I have a feeling that this header will put a lot of you off.  I'm presuming that you think that cross-stitch really doesn't have anything to do with the Embroiderers' Guild.  After all, you've probably done City and Guilds, and maybe even a diploma or a degree.  However, how did you start?  Was there ever a time that didn't have this piece of paper to say that you are suitably qualified?  If you are really truthful I'm willing to bet that there was a time when you were quite happy to cross-stitch.

OK, so it comes (usually) in a kit.  The pattern is there, all the threads too, possibly even a needle.  Thread up and off you go.  So what?  It takes a bit of skill and patience to complete it.  The counting is not that easy - everything has to line up and mistakes show, so there could be a lot of unpicking to do.  Be honest, have you now got the patience to do all that - especially as you have discovered the wonderful 'creative' part of embroidery? 

This post was prompted by a comment on the last post.  Trekky, thanks for taking the time and trouble to post.  Whatever you are doing - keep at it.  If you keep looking you will find that there are a lot of really good stitchers out there that haven't done C&G, and I think your stitching is lovely.  This is the sort of thing that needs to be addressed.  The important thing is to STITCH, that's what it's all about.

3 comments:

  1. I am no longer a Member. The reasons: my local group only met during the daytime on a weekday which makes it hopeless if you work. I took some days off to attend and the facilities were terrible (very smelly room above a bar) with poor artificial lighting, not enough table space for the 12 or so people all to sit and work at the same time (people took turns to sit down!!) and the group had no focus whatsoever. I am 50 yet was easily and by a wide margin the youngest person in the room. The other members weren't unfriendly but they were an established group many of whom had been attending for 20+ years. They openly acknowledged they came for the chat. As regards the national side of it, I didn't understand most of the mailings as they were about a build project in Manchester I didn't know anything about. In short, I didn't feel it gave me anything which was sad as I had hoped to feel part of a wider community. Textile blogs now have that role for me but even so it would be nice not to always be a "lone ranger".

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my EG (of which I've been a Member for 18 years) it is the minority who have any kind of textile qualification, be that C&G or higher. And yes I am one of those. Those things are dependent upon what's available in an area... and in mine there is currently nothing. Cross stitch at our Branch, is seen as it is, just one form of textile art. In fact our branch doesn't even ask that Members stitch - just that they have an interest... and some members don't stitch.
    The EG certainly has difficulties, not meeting current needs etc, but on the EG Forum these are often expressed, and do reach the ears of those who matter. Feelings were made very plain after the whole Manchester move fiasco, Branches gave their comments in no uncertain terms, letters were written. My Region has asked for input, and its been given... again without holding back. I think there is an awareness of problems, just no immediate means to fix, it needs money (to pay for people, equipment, publicity etc) and that's the one thing the Guild doesn't have right now. I suspect they are in a total "damned if you do, and damned if you don't" situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear both sides of the coin, and that is what this is all about. However, I don't think that all voices are being heard, let's have more input please.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Don't forget to vote in our polls